Sunday 28 March 2010

Candy Quilt


.... a tease. ...... Today I will only show you one half of a fully reversible quilt.

I'll show you the top of the quilt and will post about the other side in the next blogpost.

This quilt was a test actually. I wanted to see how quickly I can make a two-sided quilt and it only took me about 6 weeks to make (a few hours every day). By hand of course. Still don't have a functioning sewing machine. It is not quilted yet though, which will probably take another few weeks of a few hours a day.

I love doing everything by hand and since I do this for fun it shouldn't matter how long it takes to make a quilt, but I do get impatient with it and at some point I just want to finish them and move on to the next project.

Maybe I should get myself a sewing machine after all? Or fix the old machine I have been given as a present, though that alone will cost me a lot of money and there is no guarantee that it will last much longer. I have a really hard time deciding whether I want to give in to the dark side and start making quilts with the machine, turning them out a lot faster and then not knowing what to do with them. At the same time I am not sure whether I can really handle a machine.

I had a small £20 machine that was given to me once and used it until it broke, but I found myself getting every impatient with it and fiddling around with the threading (a nightmare) all the time or having to fix it because the thread was too tight or not tight enough annoyed me big time. I am not sure I want to actually invest money into a machine when I will probably end up going back to sewing by hand just because the fiddling around takes just as much time as sewing by hand would.

Any quilters out there have some advice? Let me know.



.....................................................................................

Most of the fabric in this quilt is from Kaffe Fassett, one of my favorite designers. His fabrics are so vibrant and quirky, they brighten up every room.

details


..................................................................................

close-ups




...................................................................................


... and watch out for the next post where I will show you the other side of the quilt.

2 comments:

  1. Hiya, just discovered your blog and love the Kaffe quilt. Can share the size of the blocks and give me a quick how to make one. Love it. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anne. Thanks for stopping by. Actually, there aren't any blocks. The quilt consists of strips of fabric pieces that vary between 3 and 6 inches long and are all 5 inches wide. I just pieced them so the seams don't always align to make it more balanced and a little wonky. There are 6 columns in total, but you could make a larger (or smaller) quilt by adding more columns or even changing the size of the scraps. Hope this helps. Nadine

    ReplyDelete