Monday 6 September 2010

Quilt-as-you-go-Quilt (II)



Now on to the difficult part, attaching the different pieces and sashing to make up rows of finished quilted blocks.

I originally intended to follow the instructions on this video on how to use the quilt as you go method but I was not happy with the results and just experimented a bit and came up with my own method.

It is fairly simple actually.

First, I attached the sashing to the finished quilted block on the quilt top.



I turned the pieces around and attached the other side of the sashing to the next block in the row.




Et Voila, the two pieces are attached.




The back is a little more tricky.

First I attached the sashing to one block on the back of the quilt.




Then I folded the other edge and sew it carefully tightly along the edge.




and I quilted the sashing to fix the batting in between the 2 layers of fabric:





And then I continued that way until I had my rows finished.


The finished row front:



and back



It still looks a bit messy and now needs tidying up. (With a machine this would probably look a lot neater.)

Hope this is useful.

Love, Nadine

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how you managed to get your brain around that ... I have spacial awareness problems in 2D - the thought of 3D takes me straight to panic mode, do not pass go, do not collect £200!!!!!

    It's looking really good, I'm looking forward to seeing it finished:-)

    Benta

    ReplyDelete