Wednesday 8 September 2010

Quilt-as-you-go-Quilt (III)



Finally, my first reversible Quilt-as-you-go-Quilt project is finished and I am quite happy with the result. By using the Quilt-as-you-go method I was able to work more precisely and quilt it more thoroughly, which I am usually not able to do.

My hands are now very sore and I need to nurse them back to health, but all in all I can say I enjoyed it very much and will definitely do this again.

The plus side:
- more thorough quilting
- easier to quilt smaller pieces
- less "air bubbles" on the back (normally that's a real problem when working entirely without a sewing machine)

The negative:
- exhausting
- not really faster
- uneven sashing when blocks are not exactly matching in size on front and back
- quilting on the back still not exactly even

(will add more points when I can think of them)

The finished two-sided Quilt-As-You-Go-Quilt entirely handpieced, handsewn and handquilted (46" x 58")

sorry for the low quality images due to bad lighting indoors, taken on the iPhone



close up




hanging over a chair



folded





... and the back





close up



folded





Pheewww. Now I need a little break. All my major projects are finished and I might just go back to painting for a little while (though I will still quilt in the evenings or while watching telly with the Monkey).

I hope you like this one.

Love, Nadine

PS: This quilt is made up entirely by leftover scraps. At some point I will blog about the quilt which produced these scraps.

3 comments:

  1. This looks great - I'm keen to have a go at a quilt as you go quilt but I need to get some other stuff finished first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it - especially the two completely different colour schemes. I have one ufo that is handpieced and am half way through quilt as you go but I can't seem to get the motivation to go back to. I started using the sewing machine after that and never went back to it.

    ReplyDelete