Wednesday, 27 April 2011

Almost finished!

Sorry for neglecting you so but I am not getting things done as fast as I want to. This latest quilt broke my back, literally. It took a long time and lots of blood sweat and tears, but I'm almost there. Just waiting for a new tack remover (old one died) and then I can take proper photos.

So here is a sneak peek, my first large quilt sewn on the machine.

Will post some proper pics in a few days.

Love, Nadine

And the back:

Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Monday, 18 April 2011

Reversible Quilt as you go

I have finally worked out a way to do a reversible quilt as you go quilt on the sewing machine without any ugly mishaps and problems. I am sure other quilters have done it before me and probably even better but here is how I did it.

All the blocks, both front and back, are the same size and ready to be assembled into strips. The quilting has been done in a sort of spiral pattern.

The sashing on the front is 1 1/4 " wide in Kona Ash and the sashing on the back (Kona Snow) needs to be bigger, so I cut it to 1 3/4 ".

I pinned the 3 layers together with the Ash on the front.

... and the Kona Snow on the back.

and here is the triple sandwhich pinned together.

now I sew along the edge with a proper seam allowance.

then I pin the other side of the Ash sashing on the top to the edge of the next block and sew along the edge again.

turning the two attached blocks over looks like this.

and this it what is looks like on the back.

now I fold over the Snow sashing on the back along the seam and iron it flat.

and then I fold it over again to cover the seam on the next block.

pin the 3 layers together to fix the sashing on the back in place.

and I sew closely to the edge to attach the back sashing firmly.

the I sew along the other edge to make sure it looks even.

et Voila. this is what the 2 QAYG blocks look when attached this way.

on the the top

and the back.

I hope this makes sense.

Love, Nadine

Tuesday, 12 April 2011

This took FOREVER

Here is the latest finished project: 6 placemats made using the leftover strips from the Spring in the Garden quilt.

It's strange but finishing these took me forever, almost as long as a whole quilt. The handstitched binding is probably to blame and of course the quilting. But i love it, the textures are great and my straightish lines are pretty good considering I'm new to using a sewing machine.

I hope you like them.

Love, Nadine

The back:

Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone