Sunday 17 March 2013

QAYG Flora Quilt - Fresh Sewing Day


I am participating in the Fresh Sewing Day again on Lily's Quilts. Go find it here:
http://lilysquilts.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/fresh-sewing-day-and-small-blog-meet.html

 Pheeewwww, finally this quilt is finished, it honestly almost broke my back and brought me to the brink of giving up on quilting altogether. It was a nightmare to make and ended up being much bigger than I am normally comfortable with.

Once again I made a reversible quilt with 2 very different designs on front and back. On the front I used lots of colorful Phillip Jacobs fabrics and on the back I used Flora and Fauna fabrics by Patty Young, one of my favorite lines of all time.

Making the blocks was not bad, they are all 12" wide and were really fun to make, quilting the blocks was a doddle. The difficulty is attaching the blocks to each other. Again, the blocks were not too bad but sewing the rows together made me curse out loud many times. The strips just sort of wrinkled as I sewed them on, maybe a problem with the sewing machine, feet too tight or something, and the strips on the back did not always cover the stitches from below. Very annoying. I pride myself in the quality of my quilting and this is simply not up to my standard.


But it is done and that will be the last QAYG project for a while.

Lots of love,
Nadine





10 comments:

  1. I think its gorgeous! Love the KF fabrics, of course! :) Sorry you had issues with sewing the strips. I'm certain you already know this but I'll just remind you that it is always wise to cut any sashing, QAYG strips or border strips parallel to the selvage. (The length of the fabric instead of the WOF.) If you use WOF strips they will stretch and you get puckers and waves and all sorts of hair pulling issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also a Dawn and think this quilt is both gorgeous and spectacular. I am very tempted to do something like this myself. As I do not quilt my quilts I think QAYG would be a great learning experience for me who has vowed to learn to quilt something this year. As to the advice from Dawn in regards to the cutting of the border strips, I have only just learnt this and it makes sense to me.
    A great quilt, and so glad you persevered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also a Dawn and think this quilt is both gorgeous and spectacular. I am very tempted to do something like this myself. As I do not quilt my quilts I think QAYG would be a great learning experience for me who has vowed to learn to quilt something this year. As to the advice from Dawn in regards to the cutting of the border strips, I have only just learnt this and it makes sense to me.
    A great quilt, and so glad you persevered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a shame you are not happy with your quilt although from the pictures it looks stunning. I just love the colours you have used. Just think of everything you have learnt from making it, move on and put this behind you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quilt looks fabulous Nadine and I'm sorry to hear you had so much trouble joining the rows. I cut my strips along the width of the all the time...I actually prefer it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great. That's the trade off with this technique. The individuals squares go so fast that you forget how miserable putting them together will be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love this quilt! I've never tried a QAYG quilt, I can only imagine how frustrating it was to put it all together! But it looks so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Es un gran trabajo es un gran quilt y con unos colores estupendos. Te dejo mi blog por si te quieres pasar, siquieres nos podemos seguir aunque sea en la lejania.

    http://cosasdecosturadecarmele blogspot.com

    besosss y abrazoss desde el norte de Africa en concreto Melilla.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nadine, that is a gorgeous quilt. Don't even think of quitting. You have a talent for putting gorgeous fabrics together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! Your quilts are beautiful! I was wondering if you were going to sell this quilt or the bookshelf quilt?

    ReplyDelete