Saturday 3 January 2015

My first published quilt, hurrah





Hello all,
I hope you had a lovely holiday and a good start to the new year. I am currently quilting like crazy, or binding rather, but I wanted to show you my Orange Teach Quilt which has been published in the latest issue of Quilt Now. You can imagine how chuffed I am with that. 

I do have to apologize though, I have to say, describing the steps of making a quilt in words is so hard. I personally never read quilt patterns or instructions. I might look at some pictures for inspiration but never bother with quilt maths or verbal instructions. So naturally, writing them is a nightmare for me. Thanks to Katy for editing the things I write and getting them into a more accurate English, it's not my first language after all.

But on to the quilt, I absolutely love this one. I just grabbed a bunch of fabrics and cut into them (hence the problems with then writing instructions AFTERWARDS, duh). I wanted to make a slightly larger quilt compared to my usual baby quilts and I wanted the blocks to be quite large too. It ended up quite random and scrappy in the end and I really like that. It was not a traditional block design and the overall pattern developed more organically.

Well, you can see the result. I did use my quiltography when I planned this quilt. I use it a lot these days and absolutely love it. I can spend hours on the app playing with the designs and fabrics.

Some progress shots. I varied the quilting on this quilt with some of the shapes in the middle being quilted in 1/4" apart straight lines and others in lines that are 1 inch apart.

Ok, now back to my binding. I am determined to use up some fabrics to make room for new additions to the stash in 2015. So have yourselves a lovely crafty weekend.

Nadine












4 comments:

  1. It is lovely, well done! I love the colours. Juliex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh I just love orange and aqua

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your quilt, it really caught my eye in the magazine, and I know what you mean about writing up the patterns, I've never used one either so find it hard!

    ReplyDelete